Monday, January 17, 2011

My semi-upcycle project/New Years Resolution

My new years resolution was to make better use of the space we have and to either get rid of the clutter around the house or make it into something more useful.

This resolution was inspired by my grandparents who were green before it was cool.  Specifically, when I was out in the garage trying to figure out how I was going to be able to fly home with these (see pic below), I looked around to see all the sustainable contributions they make to our environment.  One thing that really caught my eye was how my grandfather had taken a milk jug and cut it to make an extension cord keeper.
















So on the plane ride back Dave and I decided to cut down on our consumables, try and reuse things for different things (I'm saving yogurt containers to start seeds in for the garden) and to try and purge our house of unneeded things and donate as much as we can and sell the rest (to fund the garden!).

When we rearranged the great room to make room for Isaac's table and play kitchen I had this big blank wall that I needed to do something with.  I also had several pictures frames that weren't in use, so one day driving to work last week, inspiration struck!  I was going to make a framed - clothes line "thingy" for Isaac's artwork.

I also knew that I had a leftover curtain from the pillows that my mom made for the couch and I would use that.  Earlier in the day I painted the frame brown and some clothes pins brown.  The frame was originally black.

So at first Isaac tried to take a nap in the fabric, but then he let me get to work.




Then I wrapped the cardboard insert in the fabric. I bought thin brown ribbon to make the clothesline with - I taped it to the back and then secured the cardboard in the frame.




Then Dave hung it on the wall for me and we added art. 



6 comments:

Nana said...

That looks really nice. Good idea. I hung my gourd in the pine tree by the deck. The chickadees have already been in and out of it several times.

Elaine said...

That is a neat idea Becky. I like that fact that you hung it over his space too. The grandparents are very recyclable people. I am amazed at some of the things they come up with. Yours and my generation don't think that far...we take the easy and probably more expensive way out. You are an inspiration to us all.

Beth said...

I like it very cute way to hang up some of the master pieces. Might have to steal it for one of my own ideas.

Mommy P said...

I love this set-up! It's inspired me to move somethings around in our house to try to make a better Greyson space.

I adore the fabric/frame set-up!

Anonymously TTC said...

The art frame is a freakin' great idea, and I'll have to rip that one off. LOL

Nicole Young said...

Sorry - that last one was me; I didn't realize it would publish anonymously, and I didn't want you to think you had cyberstalker.